It’s official. The confinement period was extended for an additional 3 weeks in Morocco as part of preventive measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus.
The announcement was made on Monday by the head of government Saad Eddine El Othmani during a joint session of the House of Representatives and the House of Councilors devoted to the presentation by the head of government of “the development of containment management for after May 20”.
“We have had a lot of debate during this last period, to reflect and consider how to manage the next stage. The choice was tough but necessary given the health risks,” said El Othmani. “But, given that the priority is for the health of the citizen and to capitalize on the various achievements made so far, the state of health emergency will be extended for another three weeks, knowing that the government has prepared a sheet of road for the next step”. The decision to extend was taken, according to the head of the Executive, because of the continuous appearance of epidemiological outbreaks, particularly familial, the current level of reproduction rate of the virus and laxity in certain areas in terms of compliance with sanitary measures.
El Othmani also said that the containment prevented nearly 500,000 infections and between 9,000 and 15,000 deaths. “The virus’s spread index stands at 0.9% today. It will have to drop to 0.7% for deconfinement,” said the head of government. And to specify that the curfew will remain in place from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Regarding Aid Al Fitr, the head of government said that strict measures will be applied during the celebration period to limit travel. “Aid Al Fitr, which is a party, must not look like a funeral …”, he said.