Morocco ranks 61st in the ranking of the 80 most powerful countries in the world, according to a list published by US News and World Report. Ranked 60 in 2018, the kingdom is down one place this year.
Saudi Arabia, the only Arab country in the top 10, managed to finish in ninth place.
The United States retains its place as the most powerful country in the world in 2019, closely followed by Russia and China.
This ranking of US News and World Report takes into account the political and financial influences of a country, as well as its international alliances, the power of its military and how to behave as an international leader.
Here is the list of the ranking of the 10 most powerful countries in 2019:
- The United States: US News describes the United States as “the most dominant economic and military power in the world”.
- Russia: Listed for the permanent influence of the Soviet Union, the economic growth that its reserves of oil and coal give to it, and the importance it gives to the army.
- China: The country with the largest population in the world is positioned as the second largest economy in the world. China has experienced rapid economic development.
- Germany: With the largest population of all EU countries, the country has a highly skilled workforce. Germany plays a leading role in the EU and other international organizations.
- United Kingdom: US News stresses that the United Kingdom “exerts considerable international economic, political, scientific and cultural influence” on the world despite “new questions and concerns about the country’s role on the world stage”, after having voted to leave the EU. The UK’s colonial past continues to serve the country’s influence, and London remains one of the most visited cities in the world.
- France: Among the oldest countries in the world. Its influence “spreads throughout the world through science, politics, economics and above all culture,” notes US News, citing the national challenges it faces, including the way it deals with terrorism and attitudes towards Islam.
- Japan: Third largest economy in the world. Japan is “one of the most educated and technically advanced countries in the world,” says US News.
- Israel: US News notes that “for its relatively small size, the country has played an important role in world affairs.”
- Saudi Arabia: A vast and rich country, which US News describes as “the giant of the Middle East”. Saudi Arabia is also the country of Mecca, where millions of Muslims visit each year, and has vast reserves of oil that it exports around the world.
- South Korea: Ranked 11th in 2018. The country is down one place, for its power in the world of the export of technology and automobile, which gives it the title of seventh largest exporter and eleventh world economy.