The World Health Organization (WHO) announced Wednesday the resumption of clinical trials on hydroxychloroquine against the coronavirus on Wednesday, “an evaluation having been carried out and those responsible for the Solidarity test have validated this recovery”.
WHO experts concluded “that there was no reason to change the testing protocol,” organization chief executive Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a virtual press conference. However, no evidence of a reduction in the mortality rate has been obtained from any drug tested, said for his part the chief scientist of the institution, Soumya Swaminathan.
The WHO announced last week that it had suspended administration of hydroxychloroquine due to “concerns about the safety of the trials” after a study by the Lancet journal. More than 3,500 patients in 35 countries were involved in the Solidarity study.
The Lancet distanced itself from the much-criticized study it published on hydroxychloroquine on Tuesday. She launched an “expression of concern” and acknowledged in a formal warning that “important questions” hang over her.
More generally, Tedros noted that more than 100,000 cases of coronavirus per day had been observed in the past five days. The situation is “very worrying” on the American continent, which for weeks has been collecting more infections than the rest of the world. Europe on Tuesday, on the other hand, had the lowest number of new cases in more than two months.