UEFA is against Spain and Portugal bidding for the 2030 FIFA World Cup in collaboration with Morocco.
The president of the European football’s governing body Aleksander Ceferin on Monday said he would not support a nation from another continent taking part in a European bid.
Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez last month said he had proposed that Morocco submits a joint application alongside Spain and Portugal.
“I made the proposal, firstly to the government then to King Mohammed VI to launch a shared application with Morocco, Portugal and Spain to host the 2030 World Cup”, Sanchez said during a virit to Rabat in November.
“It will be the first two-continent application, with Europe and Africa, and King Mohammed VI welcomed the proposal warmly”.
Morocco failed to win the rights to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup, with a joint bid from the U.S, Mexico and Canada winning instead.
Morocco’s bid lost by 65 to 134 votes, as reports suggested the joint bid won voters over by promising record crowds and record revenues, as well as prospects of a record $11 Billion in profit for FIFA.